Effects of Obesity
If your pet has a weight problem, it may be very detrimental to its health; and is responsible for many chronic medical problems.
Problems Associated With Obesity Include
- Arthritis, “Slipped Disc,” and torn or strained ligaments.
- Respiratory problems associated with endurance and exercise.
- Heart problems from overwork.
- Liver Disease.
- Dystocia – difficulty in giving birth.
- Heat Stroke – due to a decreased ability to control heat.
- Skin problems.
- Excessive gas and/or constipation.
- Lowered resistance to disease.
- Anal gland impaction and infection.
- Increased risk for anesthesia and surgery.
- Obesity reduces your pet’s life span (and also its enjoyment of life!)
Causes Of Obesity
- Overeating (90% of all cases)
- Lack of exercise.
- Lowered metabolism.
- Hormonal imbalances.
Remember that if a pug needs to lose 3 lbs, that is the same as a person losing 20 lbs. It’s not going to happen overnight. If your pet is overweight or obese your first step should be to talk to your veterinarian and get your pet started on a successful weight loss program tailored to your pet and designed to help your pet lose weight at a healthy rate, and maintain a healthy body condition.
We are interested in all phases of disease prevention, and will work closely with you to reduce your pet’s weight to help your pet can lead a long and healthy life.